Thursday, May 27, 2010

See It, Touch It, Smell It

I knelt at the edge of the river and placed my hand below the surface of the dark flowing water. I felt the nudge in my spirit alerting me to God wanting my attention. His voice spoke to my heart, "You've seen, you've touched, and you've smelled."

What did I see? What did I touch? What did I smell? Was it the river? I saw it. I put my hand in it. I could smell it. I spoke with the pastor of the church where I preached the next day about this. He said, "You went to the wrong park. There's a better, cleaner, prettier one downtown." I still sensed in my spirit God was trying to tell me something more. 

"For thus saith the LORD, Thy bruise is incurable, and thy wound is grievous. There is none to plead thy cause, that thou mayest be bound up: thou hast no healing medicines (Jer. 30:12-13 KJV)."

What does this verse have to do with putting a hand into a river, seeing it, touching it, and smelling it? A seriously infected wound stinks. It wasn't the river I was smelling that day. It wasn't the river or the sights of the city that I was seeing. It wasn't the river that touched while kneeling at its edge in that particular park. It was an infected wound. It was sin.

Sin stinks. I could see it. I touched it. I smelled it. The stench turned my stomach like the view and smell of a festering, infected wound. In the days which followed, I faced a decision. I could choose to do something about the wound or I could walk away and let the nature of the wound run its course. 

Jeremiah 30:13 could stand as a serious indictment of Christianity today. Who is there to plead the cause of the ones who bear the infectious wounds of sin? Who is there to bring healing medicines and bind the wounds to keep the infection fro spreading? Who did Jesus command to go and make disciples?

The enemy is offering humanity many "cures" for the infected wounds of sin. They only assist in the spreading of the infection. The Church has the medicine to not only stop the infection, but to cure it once and for all. Jesus Christ is the only medicine which will sure the stinking wounds of sin. 

The time is now for the Church to plead the cause. The time is now for the Church to take the healing medicine of Jesus Christ to those suffering the infectious wounds of sin.

I saw it, I touched it, and I smelled it. Yes, I was in the right park. Yes, I walked the right river walk. God put me exactly where I was supposed to be that day. The field is white, ready for the harvest. O Lord God, send laborers into the field. God bless...

No comments:

Post a Comment