Monday, April 25, 2011

Book Review: Love Written In Stone

I must admit I'm a bit of a skeptic when it comes to reading books written by medical doctors about Christianity and God's amazing grace. The full title, "Love Written In Stone, Finding God's Grace In The Boundaries He Sets," caught my attention. As you can see in the picture of the book, the author is a medical doctor, Philip Carlson, MD. However he is also the senior pastor of Bethany Church of Sierra Madre, California.


The opening sentence of the introduction reads, "I think most of us have a hard time wrapping our heads, much more our hearts, around how much God loves us." I wasn't sure what I expected to get from this book. This opening immediately made me think, "Wow!" The main focus of the book is our relationship with God.


"Love Written In Stone" is divided into four parts.

  • PART 1: Guidance for Our Relationship With God.
  • PART 2: Instructions for Our Relationships With others.
  • PART 3: Directions for a Healthier Self.
  • PART 4: Insight for Our Relationship With Creation.
The author writes in chapter one, "Something is wrong with the world and we know it." He then proceeds to deal with forgiveness, both of God's forgiveness and our forgiving of each other in the question, "why forgive?" Dr. Philip Carlson deals with various aspects of life from a perspective of God being the center of life and of us being in a relationship with God. 

I found myself stating, "Wow!' over and over again as I read this book. I found it to be interesting and quite fascinating as it is written by a pastor with a background in medical science. Though no deep, hidden mysteries are revealed, I found the writing to be refreshing and encouraging as I too struggle with everyday life. There's no pointing to theological dogma or doctrinal differences in this book. I feel this quote from the conclusion of the book sums it nicely:

"What has been described within these pages is intended in part to help us to understand the reasonableness of what Jesus asks of us. In the end he asks for everything, our whole life, all that we are. And it is the most loving thing he can do. Why is this foundational choice to follow so important?"

Dr. Philip Carlson answers, "Because it is the only way that leads to life."

I recommend reading "Love Written In Stone". It's one of those books which belongs on my bookshelf, and it's one I know I'll read more than a few times.

I received this book from Bethany House Publishers as a part of their reviewers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

No comments:

Post a Comment