Monday, August 6, 2012

What! Is God Too Safe?


What is it you and I say of the Lord God? "He is my refuge and my fortress; my God, in Him I will trust (Psalms 91:2)?" We are safe in God, but how safe is our God? Is your God too safe? Think about it for a minute or two, then read on.

Pastor, freelance writer and author, Mark Buchanan provides a look into the answer of this question in his book Your God Is Too Safe, Rediscovering the Wonder of a God You Can't Control.

WHAT! HOW CAN GOD BE TOO SAFE?

Your God Is Too Safe opens with a chapter entitled The Refuge of the Stuck. It's about Borderland, the place between two borders and why we may choose to be stuck there. Borderland is familiar. It's safe.

Mark Buchanan wastes no time in going after this concept of a God who is too safe. Over and over he exposes our comfortable ideas and concepts of who and what God is in the light of Scripture.

The writing of Your God Is Too Safe is engaging and easy to read. The material the author presents is designed to make you think and react to who and what you believe God is and desires for you.

ARE YOU LIVING IN BORDERLAND?

"Who is the god of borderland?" Mark Buchanan asks. He answers with, "the god who is too safe." It didn't take me long into the book to realize I have spent a large part of my life living in borderland. Chapter after chapter, case after case, the author lays out clearly how we get stuck in borderland and often why we choose to remain there.

Part Two of Your God Is Too Safe opens with a chapter called The Place of Holy Habits. The case is made for the absolute necessity of prayer becoming a holy habit. I found myself under conviction for my own lack of a holy habit of prayer.

Your God Is Too Safe was a little slow getting into, though once into it, the intensity increased dramatically. I read all of Part Two, Life In the Holy Wild, without putting the book down!

I found myself challenged to seek God for who He is and for what He is. I found myself hungry to step out beyond borderland into the holy wild. One quote from Your God Is Too Safe I will always remember is this: "Consumption is killing us. Go fast and live." Again, think about it.

GETTING OUT OF BORDERLAND

If you're stuck in a rut, bored with your life in Christ, Your God Is Too Safe is a good book to jog and jab you out of your comfort zone. I recommend this book to any desiring the expectancy of walking with Christ, looking to escape from borderland.

No comments:

Post a Comment