Thursday, February 18, 2010

In My Distress I Will Call On the Lord

In My distress I called upon the Lord, and cried out to my God; He heard my voice from His temple, and my cry came before Him, even to His ears (Psalms 18:6 NKJV).

In my distress I called on the Lord. What an amazing inspiration this statement should be. Let's dig into this concept of calling on the Lord.

Distress
The word distress is used as a noun. The Hebrew word translated as distress literally means a narrow or tight place. The modern definition of distress is the state of being in serious trouble or in mental or physical anguish.

When things go seriously wrong, it does feel like the world is closing in on you. When you're suffering in mental or physical agony it can become the only thing you focus on. That's a narrow or tight place to be in.

I Call On the Lord
We do have the Lord to cry out to when we get into the tight place of trouble. Instead of crying out to God after we're in serious trouble we should consider calling on Him at the first sign of distress.

Our God will hear us when we cry out to Him. The sound of our voice will reach His ears in the throne room of His habitation in Heaven. God promises us that while we are speaking the words of our prayers He will hear them (Isaiah 65:24).

I would encourage everyone today, including myself, to cry out to God in our distress. He will hear our prayers in His holy temple of heaven. When God hears our prayer, sooner or later, He will respond.

1 comment: