Wednesday, March 10, 2010

My Hiding Place

"Thou art my hiding place; thou shalt preserve me from trouble; thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance (Ps. 32:7)."

I love this Bible verse. This scripture offers much promise to the believer. The verse begins with a promise of a hiding place. It moves on to a promise of preservation from trouble. It concludes with a promise of joy experienced because of deliverance.

"Thou art my hiding place." The word for hiding place means secret place or covering. God is our refuge when the storms of life assail us. We can run to the Rock of our salvation when the adversity of life begins to weigh heavily on us. I love the word covering. You, O God, are my covering. We are covered by the blood of the Lamb, Jesus Christ. Nothing can harm us when we're covered by the blood of Christ.

"Thou shalt preserve me from trouble." The word translated preserve means to guard, as in to protect. The word translated trouble means a narrow, tight, or strait place. You, O God, will protect me from distress, sorrow, adversity, and tribulation. It doesn't mean we'll never face these things. This Bible verse promises God will protect us from being harmed by our adversities. How? God is our hiding place. Nothing can harm us as long as we remain covered by the blood of the Lamb.

"Thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance." Exodus 15:1-21 provide an example of songs of deliverance by Moses and Miriam. 2Samuel 22 gives us David's song of deliverance. Acts 4:24-31 is another example, although a prayer, of the joy of deliverance. Notice I used the word joy. Why? The word translated song in this Bible verse means a shout. The promise is God will surround us with shouts of joy because we are delivered.

Allow me to take this last phrase of today's Bible verse a little deeper. The word compass can be broken down, meaning to cast a protective border. The joy we obtain from deliverance, God's salvation, becomes a protective border of worship surrounding us. How's that for a motivator to give shouts of praise and to sing songs telling of the glorious deliverance of our souls from sin?

God is our hiding place. Hide me in the blood of Jesus. God protects us from trouble. The covering of the blood of Jesus protects us from the harm which can be caused by the storms of life. We're surrounded by shouts of joy, the songs of deliverance, because we will one day escape trouble, sin, and death. God bless...

No comments:

Post a Comment