Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Shepherds and Lost Sheep

This Bible verse shook me to my core this morning...

"My people hath been lost sheep: their shepherds have caused them to go astray, they have turned them away on the mountains: they have gone from mountain to hill, they have forgotten their restingplace (Jer. 50:6 KJV)."

Could it be the Lord God is passing an indictment on humanity? In its original context this indictment was passed on the nation of Israel and its leaders. So in an overall sense, the lost sheep are all of humanity and the shepherds are the leaders of humanity. There's no secret that our present world is a dark, idolatrous place. It's no secret that humanity is wandering like lost sheep moving from sin to sin.

However, let's go ahead and bring this into the realm of what is called Christianity...

Christian radio is engulfed in the political landscape of America. I can't make reference to Christian television because I don't watch television. But my email inbox is flooded daily with emails desiring me to get involved in this political cause or that political cause.

Prophets and prophetesses are springing up all over the land. One prophesies one thing while another prophesies exactly the opposite. It's really not much different than in the days of the prophet Jeremiah. How many of these modern spokespersons for God would be willing to stand to the end for the words coming from their mouths and face death by being cut in half? Jeremiah did.

Modern Christianity is deeply entrenched in American consumerism. Shepherds refuse to speak out against sin because of its negativity. Shepherds back away from preaching godly morality because it will offend the sheep. So the sheep are led from mountain to mountain, idol to idol, sin to sin. 

It's the last statement of Jeremiah 50:6 which troubles me deeply...

"They have forgotten their restingplace."

David writes in Psalms 23:2, "He maketh me lie down in green pastures." The sheep are tired. They're worn out. Shepherds tickle their ears and lead them to another mountain promising rest.

Yet there is hope. We have this promise...

"For thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I, even I, will both search out my sheep, and seek them out. (Eze. 34:11 KJV)."

How is God going to do this? Through the voices men and women committed to the sacrifice of seeking those lost sheep. Who is willing to join with me to proclaim the day of salvation to the lost sheep? Who will join with me and commit to leading the lost sheep back to the true place of rest, the Lord Jesus Christ?

The only way we'll "get America back" is to search out and find the lost sheep by proclaiming salvation in the name of Jesus Christ. There is no other name that has the power and the authority to save humanity from sin. God bless...

1 comment:

  1. Pual, there best thing I have found about becoming an author and writing is finding like-minded people like you. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete