Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Wisdom

Photo courtesy Stockxchng/artM
Get wisdom. Get understanding. "Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom (Proverbs 4:7 KJV)."


This morning I asked God for wisdom while studying and preparing a sermon. Job said the fear of the Lord is wisdom (Job 28:28). The words of Proverbs 4:7 were the words of a father handed down to a son (Proverbs 4:3). Solomon, the son of David, did exactly what his father instructed. He got wisdom.


God asked Solomon what he wanted him to give (1Kings 3:5). Solomon asked for an understanding heart to discern between good and bad in order to judge the people (1Kings 3:9). God gave him what he asked for, a wise and understanding heart (1Kings 3:12). So praying for wisdom is a good thing, the principal thing, the most important thing. Did God answer my plea for wisdom this morning? Let's see...


James 3:13 says, "Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness." Are you wise? Do you possess knowledge? Show that your actions are good by living a humble lifestyle which comes from wisdom. This is the answer God gave me this morning when I asked for wisdom. I asked for wisdom and God asked me if I was wise! I only had to read four more verses from James 3 to grasp what God was trying to show me.


James 3:14 speaks of bitter envying, arguing, pride, and lying against the truth. James calls this wisdom EARTHLY and DEVILISH (James 3:15). James 3:17 then paints a very clear picture of the characteristics of Godly wisdom:

  • Godly wisdom is PURE.
  • Godly wisdom is PEACEABLE.
  • Godly wisdom is GENTLE.
  • Godly wisdom is EASY TO BE ENTREATED or WILL YIELD TO REASON.
  • Godly wisdom is FULL OF MERCY and GOOD FRUITS.
  • Godly wisdom is without PARTIALITY.
  • Godly wisdom is without HYPOCRISY.
Pure, peaceable, gentle, willing to yield to reason, full of mercy, full of good fruits, not partial, and not hypocritical. All I asked for was some wisdom for preparing a sermon and God brought me face-to-face with my shortcomings when it comes to Godly wisdom.

  • First, I am a sinner. Like the Apostle Paul, I could argue (earthly wisdom!!) that I am the chiefest of sinners. I am by no means pure, but I am forgiven. I am washed in the blood of the Lamb.
  • Anyone who really knows me knows that I'm not the most peaceable person in the world. I will argue with a barn door if I think I'm right (devilish wisdom)! Yet I am forgiven, washed in the blood of the Lamb.
  • I am far from gentle. I am harsh and generally quite blunt. Still, I am forgiven, covered with the blood of the Lamb.
  • I'm willing to yield to reason if it suits my purposes (see peaceable)! Yet my transgressions are forgiven. I am washed whiter than snow by the blood of the Lamb.
  • I try to be merciful and I try to bear good fruit. Yet time after time I fail. But I am forgiven, washed clean by the blood of the Lamb.
  • Partial? Who, me? Again, I am forgiven. I'm washed in the crimson flow from the Lamb.
  • Who's hypocritical? Certainly not me? Yet God so loved he gave. I am forgiven. I am washed clean in the blood of Jesus Christ.
Job got it right. The fear of the Lord is wisdom. And thanks be to God for the blood of Jesus Christ. You see, "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit (Romans 8:1 KJV)."

It wasn't the sermon I was preparing for, but I think I received the sermon I asked for the wisdom to prepare. God bless...

No comments:

Post a Comment