Monday, April 26, 2010

God's Great Mercy

"O my God, incline Your ear and hear; open Your eyes and see our desolations, and the city which is called by Your name; for we do not present our supplications before You because of our righteous deeds, but because of Your great mercies (Da. 9:18 NKJV)."

I had the privilege to sit at the table, across from a young man and his wife. They were transients, homeless, passing through. They were taking advantage of a free, warm meal. They shared their story with me as they were eating.


The young couple were recently homeless and living in their car. At this point, they hadn't had a shower in a week. They didn't have any food. What money they had, or get, goes into the gas tank of the car. I couldn't help but see the look of sheer panic in their eyes as I listened to them.


Another worker and myself found them a place where they could shower. Through careful questioning, I learned they possessed a little single-burner campstove on which they could cook. We made sure they ate till they were filled. We supplied them with about a weeks worth of food.

With the shelters in our area are already at capacity, we set about finding them a place where they could park their car and not worry about having to drive from parking lot to parking lot every couple of hours. They then left our facility to face a life of uncertainty and struggle.


I will never forget the look in the eyes of that young couple for as long as I live. The eyes of sheer despair pierced deep into my core. I was instantly reminded of the verse, "Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels (Heb. 13:2 NKJV)."


The couple could have been angels. No matter, they were homeless, scared, and in desperate need of assistance. They are now gone. It's not likely we'll ever see them again. I can only pray I gave them nearly as much as they gave me.


You might be asking how a homeless couple could give anything? Their situation and story so moved me to my core that I couldn't help but think of my own circumstances. They gave me this truth; I am blessed. It's only by the grace and mercy of God that their situation isn't my situation.


It is precisely what this couple gave me that leads me to this prayer of Daniel 9:18 today. I am blessed, not because of any righteous deeds I have done. I am blessed because God is merciful. I am blessed because God is gracious. I don't pray to God because of anything good that I do. I pray because God is grace and mercy.


I offer prayer today for the young couple. I thank God for bringing them to my table. They have taught me a tremendous truth. By the grace and mercy of God I am blessed. By the grace and mercy of God I have redemption through the blood of the Lamb. By the grace and mercy of God I will one day rise and be transformed into His eternal likeness. God bless...


Scripture taken from the New King James Version. Copyright 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

2 comments:

  1. paul this is good about 50% of america is a paycheck away from being homeless. most people does not want anything to do with the homeless and say they are christians and the forgot the Jesus Christ was homeless

    birds have nest fox has holes but the son of man have no place to lay his head
    keep up the great work and god bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Archie. But by the grace of God we make it day by day and week by week.

    ReplyDelete