Friday, April 2, 2010

Thinking and Reminiscing

Reminiscing
Today is celebrated as Good Friday. We celebrate and reminisce of the crucifixion of Christ on the cross of Calvary. "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son (Jn. 6:16 KJV)."

Christ gave all. He is the final sacrificial Lamb slain from the foundation of the world. The blood of the Lamb is applied to the door posts of my heart, soul, mind, and strength. Such a tremendous concept it is of so much love Jesus Christ was willing to die for my sin. What can I ever do to deserve such a gift?

Thinking
You may be thinking, "oh boy, here we go, works!" Salvation is by faith. Faith comes by hearing the Word. The Word is from God, of God, and is God. James said, "Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works (Jas 2:18 KJV)."

Your works may not save you, but I contend they may very well help you to stay "saved". "Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." We cannot earn salvation by works, but God does require us to love him with everything we are and possess. Like it or not, this often requires work. Go ahead, tell your spouse you love them and never do anything to show it.

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me (Lu. 9:23 KJV)." We're saved by faith. Jesus clearly states here that if we're planning on following him, we're to deny ourselves. Self-denial requires discipline and work. It's very difficult for the flesh to surrender ownership of self. Doing so requires a tremendous amount of faith.

Jesus clearly says if we're to follow him we are to "take up our cross daily." You can call it what you want to, but taking up a cross daily implied action. Taking a stand for anything requires discipline and work. You must have faith in the belief that any stand you take for anything is for the right cause.

Jesus said, "and follow me." If you plan to follow anything, you're going to have to move to do it. Following requires action. Following requires work. However, following someone you've never seen requires faith.

I didn't walk in his steps and hear the words he spoke to the multitudes. I didn't see him open the ears of the deaf and give sight to the blind. I didn't see him cleanse the lepers and heal the lame. I wasn't there when he rose Lazarus from the dead.

I wasn't at Calvary when Christ hung on the cross. I didn't see the blood-covered body sag into lifelessness when he said, "It is finished." It's by my faith I believe he did these things. It's by my faith I believe he walked the face of this earth. It's by my faith I believe he became the final sacrifice for sin.

It's my faith in the sacrifice of Jesus Christ that requires me to take action for Jesus Christ. It's my faith that causes me to do the works for Christ. It's my faith that causes me to love the Lord with all my heart, soul, and might. It's my faith that causes me to take a stand with Jesus Christ. It is my faith that causes me to follow him.

Without the faith I possess in the blood of Christ shed at Calvary, there would be no purpose for doing the works God has chosen for me to do. Yes, my salvation is by faith. Yes, my faith has caused me to take action. Yes, by faith I believe Christ rose from the dead. No, I didn't personally see it, but by faith I believe it. And it's by my faith that I too will one day arise and will look into his face and see him as he is. God bless...

No comments:

Post a Comment